Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Chapter Seven: Where You Belong - Part Two

 
 
 
We walked towards his truck and he ran in front of me. Before I knew it, he was opening the truck door for me. I quietly thanked him and got in. As I buckled up he walked around to the driver’s side and got in. After buckling up he started the truck and pulled out of the driveway. He had given me no indication of where we were going.

I hope I don’t regret this. I have no idea why I agreed to this. He’s right; he doesn’t deserve a second chance. I’ve already given him a second chance several weeks ago.



As he drove me wherever it was that we were going, I kept thinking about what he had told me last night. It was all I thought of all night long while I sat on his bed.

 
He treated me like trash and the whole time he had feelings for me?! I couldn’t wrap my head around it. I actually understood why he hadn’t told me till now about his feelings. It spoke a lot to how close of friends Johnny and him and been.

Didn’t you do the same thing to Johnny? My conscience invaded my thoughts.

No, I didn’t. I didn’t treat Johnny like crap while at the same time having feelings for him.

But didn’t you push him away when you realized that, because of circumstances out of your control, you couldn’t be together?

The realization hit me hard. I had. When I started having doubts about our relationship and our age difference, I started pushing him away. Little by little, I distanced myself from him so if our relationship ended I wouldn’t be so hurt. Little did I realize that the guilt of pushing him away would eat up inside of me and cause more hurt than if I had just talked to Johnny about how I was feeling.

I owe Johnny I huge apology.

Why should he accept your apology if you won’t accept Chuck’s?

Darn you conscience!

That’s when I had heard the smoke detector and found Chuck trying to burn the waffles.

The motion of the truck stopping pulled me back to the present moment. I looked out the window and noticed that there was no building in sight.

“Where are we?”

“Well, the first week I lived here I was looking for a quiet spot to fish and think about things. I asked one of the guys at the precinct if he knew of a place and this is what he recommended.”

We got out of the truck and I looked around. I had never seen anything like it. There was a large lake surrounded by trees. At one end of the lake was a beautiful waterfall that made a calming noise as it met the water.

“It’s beautiful. What’s this place called?”

“It’s Cinnamon Crest Falls. This is where I come when I want to think. Sometimes I’ll get up early and come down here when no one else is here. It’s a great place to watch the sunrise.”

“I imagine it is. This is incredible. Whenever I imagined things that I would see while living here, I never imagined something so beautiful.”

 
I looked at him and he was smiling at me. I turned away quickly.

“Thank you for showing me this.”

“Now, if you need a place to think, you can come here. Come on. I want to show you another place.”

“Really? I could stay here for a while.”

“Come on. You can always come back some other time.”

We walked back to the truck and Chuck again opened the door for me. I took one last look around before getting back into the truck.

 
We were soon on our way to the next spot. While riding I kept looking at the scenery. This is one thing that the country has that the city can’t compete with.

As Chuck drove, I started to guess where he was taking me. When we pulled up to the beach I realized my guess was right.

“You enjoy going to the beach?”

“Yes, even us cowboys enjoy some fun in the sun. Let’s go.”

We walked from the parking lot towards the water. After walking around for a little bit my curiosity got the better of me.

“So are you going to tell me a story about how you were looking for a place to skip stones and one of your buddies suggested this place?”

“No. This place is special for a different reason.”

“What would that be?”

“This is where I realized that I didn’t want to be in the rodeo anymore. I was on vacation, staying with Johnny, and I came across the beach one day. It was almost sunset and I was standing right over there, admiring the amazing colors, when I realized that I was tired of living on the road all the time. I wanted more out of life than staying in a different hotel every other night, having few friends, and getting beat up by a bull. I decided that I needed to make a change and that Appaloosa was the place I wanted to make a new start. And it’s also not a bad spot to skip some stones.” He jokingly looked at me.

“I’ve actually skipped a couple of stones here myself.”

“Have you? Well let’s see what you got.”


I picked up a stone and tossed it toward the water.

“Not bad.”

“For a city girl, you mean.”

“No. Just not bad. Come on, there’s one last place I want to show you.”

We walked back to the truck and Chuck once again opened the door for me. We drove down several roads before we turned down Pomona Promenade. Chuck slowed down as we approached my house. To my surprise, he stopped right in front of it.

I looked at him confused. “Are you dropping me off at my house?”

“No. But I want to show you something here.” We got out of the truck and stood in front of my house.

 
“Take a look around.”

“Yes, Chuck. It’s my house. What does my house have to do with your story.”

“This isn’t about me. This is about you. Look at it. Look at your house and land and tell me you don’t feel a connection to it.”

 
I sighed and started looking around. This is silly! What exactly am I looking for? It’s a lot with a couple trees and a small house.

“Remember what you felt the first day you moved here.”

I looked at my house and started remembering the feelings I had the day I arrived in Appaloosa Plains. I remembered being in love with the open spaces outdoors, the beautiful trees, my small cozy house, and the country.

“You didn’t move here for anyone but yourself. You belong here, Amanda. Can you honestly say you would be happy living back in the city after living here?”

As I took one more look around I realized that Chuck was right. I could never be happy living in the city again. No matter what had happened here or what was going to happen here, this was my home. As the thought came into my mind, I looked over at Chuck with tears in my eyes.

“Thank you.” I said quietly to him.

“It’s the least I could do. I’ll give you a minute alone.” He walked back to the truck and stood next to it waiting for me. In the whole year I had lived in Appaloosa Plains I had never completely felt like I belonged. I had spent the whole year thinking about how I didn’t fit in or feel connected instead of realizing that those things didn’t matter. I knew that this is where I belonged and I owed that to the last person I ever would have guessed could make me realize it.



20 comments:

  1. Yay I'm glad Amanda is starting to see things a little more clearly. Chuck's right, Amanda had some really happy thoughts when she first moved to Appaloosa Plains. She should have maybe focused on those thoughts rather than worrying about fitting in. He's so polite, opening car doors for her. Haha, Chuck is making me swoon a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, Amanda needed a kick in the pants and Chuck gave it to her. He's trying really hard, hoping beyond hope that there still might be a chance for him and her to be together. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww he's really trying hard to make it up to her. I like the different places he took her. Added you onto blog list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is definitely trying hard. I'm glad you liked the different places he took her.

      Thank you so much for adding me to your blog list! That's so sweet of you!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like the most perfect day, and it was sweet of Chuck to show her around all the little spots he went to when he first arrived in Appaloosa plains and to show her how happy she actually was with her decision to move to the country in the first place.
    I can't wait to see how things go for them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was a fun chapter to write and take pics for.

      Delete
  5. Oh Oh now she is stuck lol. She will never be able to get away from Appaloosa plains. Not that it is a bad thing. I am glad she finally realizes what she should have known all along. She belongs nowhere but there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She finally realizes that this is where she belongs. You're right, she's pretty much stick in Appaloosa now. Lol!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well darn. I didn't know Chuck was so sensitive. Does he have red hair? (I just made a Rugrats connection in my head...hmmm)

    I'm half in love with him myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He can be a very sensitive, caring guy. He just doesn't show it to many people.

      He actually has brownish hair. *scrolling back up to make sure* Yup, brown. I'm so used to seeing him with gray in his hair now I had to check what his original hair color was. =D

      He's a bit of a surprise because he's got this rugged exterior but he can be very gentle.

      Chuck rocks! He's an awesome guy! Glad you like him too!

      Delete
  8. Seems like Chuck might just be the does of reality and optimism Amanda needs to snap her outta her funk.... Doesn't hurt that it's yum,ily packaged too. Oh and btw I just read your intro... The thing about British names amused me... If I can be of any assistance in that front do let me know... Bona fide English rise here :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck is trying really hard to help Amanda. He would feel horrible if she left because of him. :(

      Oh! Yay! I may have to ask you at some point for suggestions. I have an ongoing list of names.Thanks for the offer!

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  9. He put a lot of thought into that. :) and it wasn't even half as cheesy as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Glad you didn't think it was too cheesy. Chuck's not really a cheesy guy and he really did feel bad that she felt the way she did. Thankfully, Amanda noticed how thoughtful he was.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  10. I think Chuck's plan is working and ending at her house really made her reflect upon how she felt when she first moved there. Sometimes when things seem to be going wrong you have to think about why you made the decision in the first place. I liked the beginning where Amanda was thinking about her actions towards Johnny and how she was doing the same thing as Chuck did to her. So there may be hope for them after all. I hope so, Chuck seems to be a pretty good guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! She needed someone to help remind her of why she moved there in the first place. Sure it had something to do with meeting her dream cowboy, *coughs* (He's standing right in front of you, Amanda) *coughs again* but it was also to live in the beautiful country.

      Thank goodness for Amanda's very loud and persistent conscious. lol! Without it, Chuck might be out of luck!

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  11. That was so sweet of Chuck to drive her all over town and show her his favorite spots and why he loves Appaloosa Plains, and then to bring her to her own house and tell her she belongs here. Oh yay! Amanda stay. Chuck is adorable in his cowboy hat and he genuinely cares for her. And she really does like living in the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Chuck and his hat! He wears it so much, I used to wonder if he slept with it on. Lol!

      He really is the nicest, sweetest guy and I'm glad Amanda listened to him and gave him a chance to convince her to stay. He may be a country guy, but he too moved to Appaloosa so he can somewhat relate to being new to town.

      Thanks again for reading and commenting!!!

      Delete
    2. Lol... if he sleeps with it on! And you're welcome.

      Delete