Thursday, November 21, 2013

Bridgette - Chapter Ten: Nothing Can Stay the Same Forever - Part One


In no time it was graduation day and while we were all happy to be graduating, we were still sad that our high school years were over. Things were changing and there was no more denying it. While we were sure we would all stay friends, the likelihood that we would all be together like this in the future was unlikely, and we knew it.




After graduation, everyone came back to our house and we had one of our famous pool parties. Thankfully this one went better than the one we threw at the beginning of the year.  Kate and Charlie were hanging all over each other, which wasn’t anything new and Trent was chasing Julia around the pool trying to catch her so he could throw her in.  I was laughing at them when I felt a hand on my back.



“You think that’s so funny? Maybe I should throw you in the pool. . .”



“Carson Davila, you try and you will regret it.” I turned towards him and gave him a fake angry glare.

“Oh man! And here I had hoped to chase a pretty girl around the pool.” He acted sad and pretended to pout.



I laughed. Ever since we had talked the night of the prom we had definitely been flirting more. Every once in a while we held hands but for the most part, we flirted. Our nosy friends had asked us what was going on after we had immerged from the barn that night, and while we tried to explain it, they seemed confused by it. They were supportive but I could tell they didn’t understand why we just didn’t start “dating.”

Later that night we were all sitting around the fire pit roasting marshmallows when Trent asked all of us a question. “So what’s eveyones’ plans after the summer?” We had all kind of talked about what we wanted to do but had never sat down as a group to talk about it.



“Well, I’m staying here to help Dad and to learn about running a horse ranch. They asked me to sign up for some business classes at the community college since Dad isn’t too keen in that area.” Charlie started.

“Do you think you’ll start your own ranch one day?” Julia asked.

“Nah. I’ll be one of those guys that are forty something years old that’s still living at home. Granted it will be to keep the family business going, but I’ll still be here.”



“I’ll be taking classes at the community college too, but I’ll be taking gardening classes. I want to open a farmer’s market and sell organic veggies and fruits.” I had never heard Kate talk about having that dream before. It was interesting to hear her talk about it.

“Well Trent and I are going to ASU. I’m majoring in communications and Trent’s majoring in electrical engineering. What about you Bridge and Carson?”



Carson and I looked at each other. I had recently told Carson about what my parents had told me about going to college and I was relieved when he had shared his plans with me. “I’m going to ASU too to major in physical therapy. I hope to one day own my  own physical therapy practice.” Carson told everyone and then he looked back at me.



I let out a sigh and he held out his hand, I put my hand in his and started. “I’ll also be going to ASU and will be majoring in art. I promised Mom and Dad I would do it for at least a year. What I really want to do is to just paint and get paid for it. Nothing earth shattering but it’s what I want to do.”



“Are you rooming with anyone Bridge?” Julia asked me.

“No, are you?”

“Nope. Maybe we could room together!”

“That’s a great idea, Julia!” We started talking about contacting the school to see if it was possible to for us to room together when I heard Carson making fun of us.

“Hey Trent, are you rooming with someone?” Carson asked him in a high pitched, girly voice.

“Why no Carson, no I’m not.” Trent played along.

“Well maybe we could room together!!” They both giggled and started clapping. I smacked Carson in the chest.

“Stop it you two. But maybe you two can room together.” All freshman at the university had to live in a dorm so the four of us had no choice till at least the second year.

“I don’t see why not.” Carson replied.




As the summer months passed by Julia and I found out we were rooming together and Carson and Trent were going to room with each other. Julia and I went on several shopping trips to get things we were going to need for our dorm; bedspreads, desk lamps, cute chairs for our bedrooms, Mom and Dad even bought me a new laptop. I was fine with all the new things that were being bought for college, but I still wasn’t so thrilled about going. It was reassuring knowing that I was going with a bunch of my friends.

The day for us to leave for college came and I woke up feeling excited, scared, and nervous all at the same time. I got up and got ready.  Mom and Dad were driving me to campus since freshman weren’t allowed to have cars on campus.  That was okay with me since everything was in walking distance.  I had just gotten dressed when I heard my cell phone ringing. I checked the number and saw that it was Carson.

“Hey, what’s up?” I answered the phone.



“Hey, I was just calling to see how you were doing this morning.”

“One minute I’m excited, the next I’m nervous, and then the next I’m scared.”

“What are you scared of? I mean with a hunk like me around there’s nothing to be scared of.”

I laughed. “I’ll try to keep that in mind whenever I start to feel scared.”



“You’re getting there around one o’clock, right?”

“Yup. I’m meeting Julia at our dorm and then you and Trent are coming over after you get settled, right?”

“Of course! I wouldn’t let you stay in your dorm all alone feeling scared.”

“You’re just hilarious! I’ll see you later.” I hung up and went downstairs. Mom was downstairs finishing making breakfast.



“I made you your favorite, french toast.”

“Thanks Mom.” I looked at her and she had a sad look on her face. “Oh no you don’t; I’m going because you and Dad are basically making me. You don’t get to act sad about it.” I half joked with her.



“I can’t help it! Someday you’ll have children and they’ll leave home and you’ll know exactly what I’m feeling. And if I’m still around you’ll call me and say ‘You were right Mom, I understand now what you went through when I went away to college.’”



“Good grief, Mom! Of course you’ll still be around. Can we go eat breakfast?”

“Sure, Charlie already grabbed something before he walked next door to walk Kate over here.” I rolled my eyes. “I know, I don’t know why he has to but you know how he and Kate are, they’re inseparable.”

Kate was coming over to say goodbye; why she couldn’t by herself was beyond me.

Soon Dad joined us. “Hey there kiddo, are you ready to head off to college?” At least he wasn’t on the verge of tears like Mom.



“I guess so. I already talked to Carson this morning and he and Trent are going to meet up with Julia and me after they get settled in. Julia and I are just meeting at our dorm room. Less chaotic that way.”



 “I swear Bridge, you’ve explained the whole Carson thing to us but I just don’t get it. You’re dating, you’re not dating, I’m just confused.”



“It’s really not that confusing, Mom. Basically we like each other but neither of us are ready for an actual relationship right now.”

“So you’re dating?” She asked.

I slapped my forehead. “No, Mom. I just explained it. Maybe at some point we will but for right now we’re both okay with where our relationship is.”

“And that would be. . .?” It was like a song stuck on replay.

“Oh come on Amanda, give the poor girl a break.” Thank goodness for Dad saving me.



I finished eating my breakfast and went into the kitchen to put my plate in the dishwasher. I headed back up to my room and looked around for a minute. I couldn’t believe that in less than an hour I was going to be leaving my room, the only bedroom I had ever remembered having. Heck, I was leaving the only house I remembered living in. I looked out one of my windows and looked over at Kate’s house. I had lived almost my whole life next to one of my best friends and now we were going to be apart. I started to tear up looking at her house. Just then I heard a knock; I turned around and saw Kate standing in my doorway.

She too had tears in her eyes. We walked towards each other and hugged. I knew we’d keep in touch but it just wasn’t the same. There were things that I told Kate that I didn’t tell anyone, not even Carson. Sometimes it seemed like we were actually more like really close sisters than best friends. We hugged for a while before Charlie interrupted us.



“Hey Bridge, Mom sent me up to tell you that you all will need to leave in about 15 minutes.”



“Thanks.” Charlie walked back down the hallway and I looked at Kate. “How can this be happening? When did we grow up?”

“I don’t know, but I’m starting to really not like growing up. At least we can call each other and there’s also email and text; but it’s still not the same as being right next door to you.”

“I know. Too bad Mom and Dad made me do this. Things could have stayed the way they were forever.”



“Oh you don’t mean that Bridge. Nothing can stay the same forever, things are constantly changing. You can either adapt the best way you can to the changes or constantly be overwhelmed by them.  Not even our friendships or relationships can remain the same. They’re constantly changing because as people we’re changing.”



“Wow, Kate. That’s some deep stuff. Did you read that in a book?” I kidded with her.



“No, you silly goose. It’s just something that I realized recently with all these changes that have been happening since we graduated.”



Just then I heard Mom’s voice. “Bridge! It’s time to go!”  Kate and I looked at each other and hugged again before heading downstairs.



Dad had already packed the SUV with my stuff and everyone was waiting outside. I first walked up to Jeff. “Well big sis, I guess this is it. I’ll miss you keeping me in line.”



“Oh I can still keep you in line over the phone and Skype.” We hugged and he whispered. “I’m really going to miss you Bridge.”



I then walked over to Charlie. “I’m not going to have a twin anymore.” I said to him.

“Of course you’re going to still have a twin! Neither one of us is going to die!” He joked with me.

“That’s not what I meant. I meant that I’m not going to have a twin around me anymore. People who meet me won’t have any idea that I have a twin. Everyone’s always known.”



“I know what you meant. I’m going miss my twin too.” We hugged and then I turned once again to Kate.

“Text me when you get there. I’ll let these two knuckle heads know that you got there.”

“Thanks! We’ll all try to Skype with you later tonight.” Kate and I hugged and then I turned to Mom and Dad. Mom was crying from watching all of the goodbyes.

“Well, we better get going so we can get there by one. We’ll be back later tonight.” Dad announced. Mom, Dad and I  got in the SUV and we pulled out of the driveway. As we drove away I looked back at my house.  Where before I had  a combination of feelings, this time I only had one; sadness.


10 comments:

  1. Oh man I totally agree with Bridgette. Amanda, you made her go... no right to be sad there. LOL. Ok just kidding, she always has the right cause when things change, sometimes sadness happens. =D And also on a funny note, when I left for college, which my dad wanted me to do, he cried, not my mom. ROFL.
    Also wanted to say that damn! Bridgette looks so much like Amanda it's crazy. Haha.
    *fans self from Carson and Trent* Holy Jesus, those two are HOT. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Out of the two, Amanda's the more emotional so she tends to cry when changes occur (especially where the kids are concerned). That is funny about your dad! Sometimes I wonder if the parents that push their children are also the ones that understand how big of a change it will require.

    When Bridge aged up and I saw her and Amanda next to each other I couldn't believe it! They could almost be twins (especially if she didn't have Chuck's eyes).

    LOL! Glad you like Carson and Trent. I knew Carson would be good looking since I cheated to see what he would look like; but I was really surprised with Trent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone looks great aged up to young adults. Teens look so awkward in this game. And I agree with Lateknight. Its crazy how much she looks like her mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always so happy when they get to young adult. It is crazy how much she looks like her!

      Delete
  4. OMG. Trent is gorgeous and I want him!

    And I just noticed as she was talking about Kate being her sister...she does have a sister! Umm where is that siblings!??!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I was so shocked when he aged up and I know I stared at the computer screen for a good couple of minutes. I couldn't believe how good looking he was!

      You mean Scarlet??? I jokingly refer to her as the forgotten child. She's there but she's still a baby. She was born right before they all started their senior year so she's still tiny. She makes appearances here and there but there's such a big age difference between her and Bridge, she just doesn't have a whole lot of contact with her. Out of all the kids, Bridge will have the least contact with her since she goes off to college and then lives her own life.

      Thanks for reading! By the way, Trent starts to have more of a presence after this chapter! =D

      Delete
  5. Thank you Katie. Maybe she'll listen to you.

    I completely forgot about the baby there for a minute. I do hope we at least get to see the little Scarlet from time to time, since she made such a fuss coming into this world after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridge does listen to Kate, probably more than anyone else.

      Poor Scarlett, the forgotten child. Lol! She pops up from time to time, but with her and Bridge having such a huge age difference, she and Bridge didn't grow up together so she's not part of Bridge's story much. :(

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. She's off to college. Hopefully she learn that all change isn't bad. So glad she spoke with Kate before she left, hopefully it will have an affect on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of times, at least at this part in Bridge's life, Kate is the one who pushes Bridge. She really listens to what Kate has to say and she just has a way of explaining things to Bridge that helps her understand.

      She really needed to get out of Appaloosa. She's been way too sheltered there and breaking out will be ggod for her. :D

      Thanks again for commenting and reading!

      Delete