Thursday, November 21, 2013

Bridgette - Chapter Eleven: Everything Has Changed - Part Two


The thought of going on a date with Carson made me nervous. I had no idea what to wear or how to fix my hair. I hadn’t been on many dates in the past so I was really thankful for Julia’s input. Carson had refused to tell me where we were going but he told me to wear something nice. Once I told Julia what he had suggested I wear we went shopping. As we were looking at dresses she pulled out a couple ones she thought would work.

“Julia, these are all really nice dresses. Surely he didn’t mean anything like these?”

“He said nice. These are nice dresses. Trust me Bridge, he’s taking you somewhere that you would feel out of place if you didn’t wear something like this.” The last part of what she said sounded suspicious to me.

“Do you know where he’s taking me?”

“I might, but even if I do, I’m not going to tell you.”

She grabbed one more dress and the sales lady set up a dressing room for me. “Try on the black one first.” Julia suggested.

I put the dress on and I immediately didn’t like it. I walked out to show Julia and she frowned. “You don’t like it, do you?”



“Not really.” I admitted.

“Well then that’s definitely not the one. If you don’t feel good in it then you won’t look good.”

I walked back into the dressing room and tried on another dress. This one wasn’t as bad, but I thought it was pretty boring. I walked back out and Julia immediately groaned. “Oh no! That looks like something my grandma would wear. Definitely no.”



I walked back into the dressing room. This was one reason I hated shopping, I didn’t have the patience to try clothes on. I put on another dress and I actually liked it. I walked out and Julia started squealing. “Oh Bridge! That’s the one! OMG! Carson is going to flip.” I started blushing. “Good grief, Bridge. Don’t you want him to flip?”



It wasn’t that I didn’t, it was just that this was a different way of me thinking about Carson. It wasn’t a bad thing, just something new. “You really think it will be okay?”

“You’d look great wearing a sack, Bridge; but you look sensational in this dress. Let’s get going. I’m getting hungry.” I changed back into my clothes and bought the dress.

The day of our date arrived and Julia was helping me get ready. She helped me with my hair and makeup and then I changed into the dress I bought. I came out of my bedroom and Julia stood looking at me with her mouth hanging open. After several seconds of her not saying anything I begged her to respond. “Please, Julia; say something.”

“OMG Bridge! I can’t wait to see Carson’s response.” She said with a smile.

“I take it that’s a good thing?”

“Yeah Bridge. It’s a good thing; and stop fidgeting. It will all be fine.” There was a knock at the door and Julia went over to answer it. “Hey Carson, come on in.”



I watched as Julia moved out of the way and Carson walked through the door. The last time I had seen Carson dressed up was during prom. I had always thought that Carson was good looking but seeing him walking through the door this night literally took my breath away. He was talking to Julia and briefly looked in my direction and then looked back to Julia. He stopped mid-sentence and turned his head slowly to look at me.



“I think I’ll go somewhere else now.” Julia excused herself and left us standing there alone.

“Wow. . .Bridge, you look amazing.”



“So do you.”

“I guess we should get going. We don’t want to be late.” He put his arm out for me to grab and we started walking out the door.

“Where is it we don’t want to be late getting to?”



He smiled “You’re just going to have to wait a few more minutes to find out.”




We walked out the dorm and then down the street a little. There really weren’t very many places in town that we could be going to but they were all the direction we were walking so I couldn’t figure out which one it was. We started passing the theater so I knew we weren’t going to see a performance. I was in the process of trying to figure out where he was taking me when I noticed we were stopping.

We were standing outside the nicest restaurant in town. I looked over at him “Is this where we’re going?”



“Yes, it’s one of the places we’re going.” We walked up to the door and Carson opened it for me. I walked through the door and I was amazed at what I saw. I had been in some nice restaurants with Mom and Dad but this was by far the most beautiful restaurant I had ever been in. There were gorgeous chandeliers hanging from the ceilings, exquisite paintings on the walls, and the tables were decorated magnificently.

We walked up to the podium and Carson spoke to the woman standing there. “Davila, party of two.”

The woman looked down through her list of names “Yes, Mr. Davila, if you’ll follow me please.” Carson motioned for me to go first and we followed the lady into a room where there was a piano. She led us to the table that was nearest the piano and Carson pulled out a chair for me to sit in. She gave us each a menu, “Enjoy your meal.”


I couldn’t help but look around, especially at the painting that was on the wall behind me. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a painting that big.” Carson remarked.
“It’s beautiful. You can tell it's from the Victorian Era.”

“Did you learn that in one of your classes?” He half joked.

“No, I would have known that even before coming here. I tried explaining to Mom and Dad that I already knew things about art but they wouldn’t listen. It hasn’t been bad coming here I just don’t feel like I’m getting very much out of the classes. I don’t need to know what painter painted in which period.  Granted looking at different paintings and methods is useful but I don’t need to go to college to do that. I still think I would be better off studying with someone on an individual basis.”




A waiter came over and told us about the specials and asked for our drink orders. Once he left we continued talking.

“Well, I am very glad that your parents suggested that you come here. We wouldn’t be doing this if they hadn’t.” He smiled at me and I started blushing. “Wow, we haven’t even ordered yet and I’ve already made you blush.” He joked.



“You act like you’re proud of yourself.” I joked back. He cocked an eyebrow. “What’s that look for.” I inquired.



“Just goes along with something I’ve observed about you recently.”



“What’s that?”

“You’ve changed since we’ve been here.” The waiter came back with our drinks and Carson and I ordered our food.

“What do you mean?” I asked after the waiter left.

“You don’t seem as uncomfortable with things changing as much. I don’t know, it’s hard to describe. It’s almost like you have more confidence. If I had made a comment to you like the one I just made when we were back in Appaloosa, you would have responded completely different.”



I couldn’t tell if he felt that this change he thought he saw in me was good or bad. “Is that bad; that I’ve changed?”

“No, everyone changes; everything changes.”

“I think we’ve both changed.” I stated. “I think what we both went through last year changed us.” I thought back to what Carson and I had both endured from Waverly and even though I couldn’t stand the girl, what I had experienced because of her had made me stronger and had caused me to grow up a little.



Our dinner arrived and I about died from how good the food was.  I had eaten several bites before I realized that Carson was looking at me and was not eating.

“What’s wrong? Why aren’t you eating?”

“There’s nothing wrong.”

“Then why aren’t you eating.”

“If I tell you, you’ll blush.” He teased.

“Tell me; or I’ll stop eating.” I insisted.

“I was just admiring the beautiful lady sitting across from me.” I immediately started blushing. “I told you.” he smiled.




“I’ve told you before that I’m not used to compliments like that. That’s why they make me blush.”

“Well then it’s long overdue and you need to hear them more.” He said with no hint of joking.



We continued to eat and talk about school and news we’d both heard from home. We finished dinner and the waiter asked us if we’d like dessert. I was way too full to eat a dessert all by myself so Carson and I split a piece of chocolate cake. I took a bite and looked over at Carson.

“What’s wrong?”

“This is the best piece of chocolate cake I’ve ever tasted.”



He laughed. “Why is that a bad thing?”



“Because it’s better than Mom’s and she would be heartbroken to know hers is now not the best I’ve ever had.”



“Well, I won’t tell if you don’t.”

“Good, because even if you did; I’d deny it.”

We finished up dessert and Carson paid. “Are you ready to go?” He asked.

“Yes, but where are we going now?”

“You have never been good with surprises.”



“I can’t help it if I like to know what’s going to happen, and when, and to whom.”

“It won’t take us long to get there.”

We walked out of the restaurant and continued down the street. I had never been this far from campus so I had no idea where we were going. As we approached an intersection I started to see a break from the buildings. There was a huge garden/park before the intersection.



“I never knew this was here. How did you know?”



“I was walking around town one day and I happened upon it.”

“It’s beautiful. The way the columns and sculptures are illuminated. . .It’s breathtaking.”

“I was thinking the same thing.” He commented. I turned to look at him but he wasn’t looking at the structure; he was looking at me.





*****


 She started blushing again and I couldn’t help smiling at her. I really thought it was sweet how easily Bridge blushed.



“Darn this blushing!” she exclaimed.

“I rather like it when you blush.” I admitted.



“So, are you purposely thinking of things to say to make me blush?”

“No, Bridge. I haven’t said anything that wasn’t true. I have four and a half years’ worth of feelings that I have kept to myself and as long as you let me, I’m going to express them. You said you were tired of beating around the bush, so I’m not.”



“I’m glad you’re not.”



“For a moment there I wasn’t sure if you were. Bridge, you know how I feel about you. I’m just trying to get a clear understanding about what you’re feeling.”



She took a deep breath. “Many months ago, I was talking with Kate about her relationship with Charlie. One thing that has always scared me is yours and my relationship changing.”





I nodded. “That was one of the things we talked about after prom.”

“Yes. I had asked Kate if she was scared about what would happen to their friendship if things didn’t work out between them. I was shocked at how it didn’t seem to bother her at all. But now I understand. I don’t want things to stay the same between us. I’m tired of fighting the feelings I have for you.”



Even though I had started to suspect what she had just told me, her actually saying it still took me aback. After four and a half years, Bridge and I were actually on the same page about our feelings for each other. I wanted someone to pinch me to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

We stood there for several minutes in silence, almost as if we were both trying to take in what had just occurred. I noticed her start to shiver “Are you cold?”



“Just a little.” She admitted.

I pulled her towards me and held her to try to warm her up. Standing there holding her felt completely right.






I pulled back slightly and looked down at her. She tilted her head to look up at me and we both leaned in to kiss each other.



I felt her shiver again. “Are you still cold?” I worried.


“No, that’s not why I shivered."

I smiled at her and she blushed again. “So do I get to have a second date with you?” I teased.



She leaned up to kiss me. “What do you think?”




“I’ll take that as a definite maybe.” She smacked me in the chest. “We should get going. It’s getting late and really cold out here.”

I took my coat off and gave it to her to wear so she wouldn’t be so cold and we walked back to the dorm.

We arrived at her door and she asked if I wanted to come in.

“I think we should say goodbye out here. Julia’s probably waiting to ambush you when you get inside.”

She laughed. “You’re probably right. I had a wonderful time tonight, Carson.”



“I did too. I’ll call you tomorrow morning.” I leaned down and kissed her. I knew I needed to go but I just wanted to stay with her. It was almost like I was scared that this would all stop being true if I walked away. I somehow got the will to stop kissing her. “Night Bridge.”



“Night.” She turned around and walked into her apartment.






I stood there looking at the closed door for a moment and smiled. Four and a half years. I had waited for this night for four and a half years, and the wait had most definitely been worth it.






Credits:
Poses
MsAdrienne's Autumn Walk
Skylar Arden's Zutara Broken 
Skylar's We Heart It

Lots:
Versailles French Restaurant by Ruby
Bridgeport Gardens by orlov

Bridge's Dress:
EsyraM's - Lace Print Dress

10 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwww Carson. LOL. The last line just made my heart melt, I am beyond ecstatic that these guys finally got together and even more happy that she didn't make him wait another four and a half years to kiss her. Holy crap where are they going to college? When I was in college there were definitely no restaurants that fancy for miles... I also thought dang how does Carson afford that dinner bill? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! There is no way Carson would have waited another four and a half years to kiss her! I'm so glad you're happy that they're together.

    We had several restaurants near our campus that were nice but our university is part of downtown so there's some nice restaurants that you could drive to. Although, I'm with you, there are very few college students who could afford to eat anywhere that nice. He's been saving up for awhile so he can take her somewhere nice. He figured he'd better make it count in case this was his only chance. : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, I went to school in the city, we definitely had those restaurants...just not those restaurants' money.

    YAY Carson! This whole chapter was just art. I'm giving myself a hug and pretending it's Carson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first place my hubby took me to eat was McDonald's which was perfectly fine since we were poor college kids. However, this is Carson we're talking about and that just wouldn't do. Not when he's been waiting four and a half flippin years to date her. So it had to be somewhere unbelievable. Although he may have been poor for a while afterwards.

      LLOL!!!! Carson gives very good hugs. But I must warn you, that if he actually gave you one, Bridge would be very unhappy and might come after you; and she's tougher than she looks. . . HAHAHA!

      Thank you so much! This was a really fun chapter to write. I was so happy that they finally got together!!!

      Delete
  4. This was an awesome chapter!! FINALLY!!! Girl, you are good at making us all wait. :) What a beautiful evening!! She was gorgeous & he's hot! Now....must......go.....to....bed....no....more....reading.....dang...one more chapter (that's what I said 3 chapters ago). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I'm glad you liked it! Lol! I was the same way last night. I was reading a story and I was falling asleep while reading it but I needed to know what was happening.

      Thank you so much for reading and the kind words!

      Delete
  5. Good things come to those who wait. So glad that Carson and Bridge went on their first date. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he's waited a LONG time. lol!! Thank you so much! Glad you liked it!

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete