Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bridgette - Chapter Fourteen: A Night to Remember - Part One


The third year of school was met with harder classes and more stress for everyone. I felt a little guilty that I didn’t have some of the stresses that the others did since I didn’t go to classes. My paintings had been shown in several local art shows and I had even been contacted by individuals to create paintings for them.

During the early part of the Spring semester stress levels were at an all-time high. Carson was taking a lot of Kinesiology courses which required him to study a lot. Carson hardly ever stressed out but he was starting to show signs of it. I tried to help everyone as much as I could. Since I stayed home most of the time, I cleaned the house and cooked meals so everyone could concentrate on their studies.



I was painting one afternoon when I got a call from a local art gallery. The owner had heard about my paintings and wondered if I would come by and show him some of my work. Several days later I went to the gallery and met with the owner.

“Miss Hobble, I’m Jason Porter. We spoke on the phone a couple days ago.” He greeted me and shook my hand.




“Nice to meet you, Mr. Porter.”

“Please, call me Jason. Shall we go into my office?”

He led me to his office and he motioned for me to sit in one of the chairs. “I’ve been to several art shows and have seen some your paintings. I’ve been very impressed by what I’ve seen.”

“Thank you.”

“Do you mind if I take a look at the paintings you brought with you?”

I handed him my portfolio and he walked over to a table. He stood there studying my paintings for what felt like an eternity.





Finally he turned around and called me over. He flipped through several paintings, “I see you paint mostly landscapes.” He turned and looked at me “The reason I contacted you Miss Hobble is because once a year, we have a showing of new, local artists. We usually pick one painter, sculptor, designer, photographer, and drawer and showcase their work. I would like for you to be our painter this year.”




I was shocked. “Wow, I’m honored. What would I need to do?”



“You have enough work here for us to show, but we do ask that each artist produce a new piece to be unveiled at the gala.”




“Are there any stipulations about what it has to be?”

“No. Just know that during this gala we usually have around 500 people attend. So you’ll want to show your best work.”

My jaw hit the floor. I couldn’t believe that many people were going to see my paintings. “I am very grateful for the opportunity. Thank you.”



“It’s my pleasure, Miss Hobble.”

“Please, call me Bridgette.”



“Well then, Bridgette, I’ll be in contact with you soon and let you know more particulars about the event. Let me show you out.”



He handed me my portfolio and we walked to the front door.  He shook my hand again “It was a pleasure meeting you, Bridgette.” He held onto my hand a little longer and continued to look into my eyes.





After several uncomfortable seconds, he let go and walked away. I stood there trying to figure out what had just happened. I shrugged and figured that I was just over thinking things.

When I got home, Carson was sitting on the couch. “How come you’re not studying?” I asked.



“I was waiting for you to get back to find out what happened.”



I smiled at him. “It went well. The owner of the gallery, Jason, looked at my paintings and then offered to show them in a new artist gala they hold once a year. Apparently about 500 people attend it. I’m just still shocked that my paintings are going to be seen by that many people.”



“That’s amazing Bridge!” He hugged me. “Do you have to do anything special for the gala?”

“I do have to paint one new painting that will be unveiled that night.”



“I’m so proud of you. You’ve worked so hard for this opportunity.”



“You are going to come with me to the gala, aren’t you?”



“Of course!”



He kissed me and then hugged me again. As we stood there hugging we heard yelling coming from upstairs. “Really, Trent! Is it so hard to pick up your clothes!”

“Does it really matter?!”

“Yes! This room looks like a pigsty!”

“Well you could always go back to your room if it bothers you so much.” For the past month Julia and Trent had been arguing more and more. It was hard to tell if it was just the stress from school or if they were really having relationship problems.

I sighed as Carson was still hugging me. “Here we go again.” Carson said.

I snuggled into him. “Please tell me we will never argue like that.”



“Of course we won’t” He said and kissed the top of my head.



The next month passed by quickly. I met several times with Jason at the gallery and each time I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off. I couldn’t put my finger on it. He was always very nice and helpful but something just didn’t feel right. I figured I was overreacting and continued on.

The week of the gala arrived and I started spending a lot of time at the gallery. I delivered all my older paintings and one of the gallery workers showed me the area where my paintings would be displayed. As I looked at where my paintings would be, I was surprised by a voice behind me.

“Are you excited?” Jason asked.



“Oh! You startled me.” I said as I turned around



“Sorry. I saw you standing here and I thought I’d come say hello.”



“That’s okay. I was just trying to get a sense of where each painting would go.”



“Let me show you what we had in mind.” He led me around to the different walls and described where each painting would go. We arrived at a wall that had a curtain “This is where we’ll put the painting that we’re going to unveil.”



“It makes me nervous to think about it.” I admitted. He walked over to me.
“If it makes you feel any better, I’ll be right next to you.”



I wasn’t sure what to think of what he said. “Um. . .I suppose that is a little comforting.” I said not wanting to hurt his feelings.



“Oh, I meant to ask you before; if you would like to invite anyone, we’ll have to have their names to put on a list.” I gave him Carson, Trent, and Julia’s names and left to go home.

It was the night of the gala and Carson, Trent, Julia and I arrived at the gallery. Jason had asked all of the artists to arrive a little early so we could go over some last minute information. We walked in and the gallery looked completely different from just a few days prior. Where there had once been blank walls, floors, and pedestals, there was now amazing pieces of art everywhere.



I noticed Jason standing with some of the other artists and motioned for me to come over. “I’ll be right back, guys. Jason wanted to go over some things with the artists before the gala started.”  I walked over and Jason explained in what order each artists work was to be unveiled. Mine was the last which made me even more nervous since that meant I’d have to wait most of the night. As I stood there listening to Jason I noticed Carson looking over at us. I smiled at him and then turned my attention back to Jason.




****Carson****





I looked over at Bridge and she smiled at me.  She turned her attention back to the guy that was talking to the group. I looked at the group of artists and I thought it was an interesting coincidence that she was the only girl artist. I figured that must have been just the way it was that year. Soon they were done talking and Bridge came back over.

“They’re going to open the doors soon. My painting will be the last artwork they unveil. I wish I would be first so I could get it over with and enjoy that rest of the night.”



“It will be fine Bridge.” I tried to reassure her.



The doors opened and we started to walk around to look at the displays. We were walking around the sculpture displays when I noticed a guy walking over to us.

“I hope all of you are having a good time.” He said and he stood next to Bridge. I noticed her take a slight step away from him and she introduced us.



“This is Jason Porter, the owner of the gallery. These are my friends Julia and Trent.” He shook their hands “Delighted to meet you.”

“And this is my boyfriend, Carson.” He shook my hand but I noticed he was a little less friendly with me. “Nice to meet you.” He said as he shook my hand.



“You too.” I replied.

“Have you all seen the section where Bridgette’s pieces are being displayed?”

“No, we were just making our way over there.” Julia confirmed.

“Well then, let me show you.” We followed him to a different area of the gallery and I couldn’t believe the sight in front of us. I had seen every single one of these paintings but here, in this gallery, in their frames and the lighting, it was absolutely beautiful.



“Wow, Bridge. This is amazing!” Trent exclaimed.



“She’s very talented.” Jason said and I noticed he put his hand on her back. Bridge very discretely stepped away from him again.



“Yes, we know. We’re all very proud of her.” I said and I went over to her and put my arm around her. Something was not right here. I wasn’t usually a jealous guy but I was getting some bad vibes from this guy.



“Well. . .I’ll let you all look around.” He excused himself and he went to talk to one of the other artists.

We continued to look at Bridge’s paintings. We rounded a corner and on one of the walls was a painting that was a favorite of mine. I stood in front of it and smiled. She came up next to me and I put my arm around her. “This one is my favorite. It reminds me of Appaloosa.” I told her.



“I know.” She said. “I made sure they put it somewhere that would be well seen.”

I smiled at her and was about to kiss her when I heard the owner’s voice. He was directing people to Bridge’s section now.  He walked over to us.



“Do you mind if I steal her?” He asked and before either Bridge or I could respond he was guiding her to a group of people. I watched as he introduced her and they started talking about her paintings. At one point he put his hand on her back and left it there for several minutes.

“You know, there’s something about that guy that I don’t like.” Julia said as she walked up to me.



“Tell me about it.” I replied dryly.

I was used to guys admiring Bridge. Most places we went, guys would look at her, and that was okay with me. But this was not admiring. This was something else altogether. I watched as he paraded her around the room and with each passing moment, he kept touching her more and more. He’d grab her arm and lead her somewhere, he repeatedly touched her back, and he always stood very close to her. This went on for about thirty minutes before he led her to where her new painting was to be unveiled.

“Ladies and Gentlemen; if I could have your attention please.” Everyone quieted down.



“The last unveiling tonight is by the beautiful woman standing beside me, Bridgette Hobble.” People started clapping and I saw Bridge blush slightly. “Before I unveil her new painting, let me tell you a little about this extraordinary woman. Bridgette has been painting since she was a child. She paints mostly landscapes, which I’m sure you noticed, which comes from her growing up in the beautiful town of Appaloosa Plains. Her paintings have been showcased in several local art shows and have been sought after by several households in the nearby area. Tonight, we are unveiling a new painting of hers. Miss Hobble, if you’d please do us the honors.”



Bridge pulled on a tassel that opened up the curtains and her new painting was unveiled. There were murmurs of approval and then applause.





My chest felt like it was going to burst from pride. I started to walk up to her and I caught Jason’s eye. He grabbed Bridge’s arm and whisked her away before I could get to her.






I had had enough. I didn’t see where he took her but when I found them, someone was going to get an earful; maybe even a fistful.



Credits:
Poses:
IMHO - Hi, my friend
Urban Hype Sims - Siempre
Mypalsims' - Jesse Pack

Bridge's Dress:
April's - Amelia Dress

8 comments:

  1. Go Carson! Wow, that Jason guy has some balls. Being so blatantly flirtatious in front of the lady's boyfriend?! I want to give him a fistful LOL. I hope Julia and Trent are just going through a rough patch they seem so nice together. Haha. I also once heard that couples who argue a lot are closer because they don't hold grudges, ROFL. I think that's only true if they make up after each fight. Aww Bridgette you don't have to feel guilty about not having so much stress, just show them not everyone needs college to be a success. Look at you with your art gallery opening, you vixen! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason is a creep and a half. He has a very inflated opinion of himself. Once he saw Bridgette, he decided that nothing was going to get in his way, not even a boyfriend. He's trying to intimidate Carson but he doesn't realize that Carson doesn't get intimidated easily.

      Trent and Julia are really stressed with school. No worries. =D

      IMO there's a difference between arguing and fighting. Arguing is fine. No two people are going to agree all the time. And sometimes the arguing can be heated. But as long as there aren't any grudges, and you work together to find a middle ground, it's fine. Fighting is completely different. When someone is in it to win and it becomes about one person and not the "team," huge issues are going to start coming from that.

      Absolutely! Stress does not necessarily mean success. That was one nice thing about Bridge growing up with her parents; she got to see both of them be very successful while doing things they loved to do. =D

      Delete
  2. PUT THE SMACK DOWN on that sucka!!! How dare he? This obliviousness that the Hobble women have is insane...run Bridge, run fool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Part of Bridge's problem is she isn't aware of how pretty she is. So it doesn't occur to her that someone, other than Carson would flirt with her. She really has a poor vision of herself. Like Carson has said, he notices the looks that she gets from other guys but Bridge is so busy being happy with Carson and not realizing how pretty she is, she just doesn't see it.

      This is one of those rare cases that Carson will lose his cool and he starts to doubt what he and Bridge have.

      Lol! It's like the curse of the Hobble woman! Some of it's inherited and some of it is from leading very sheltered lives.

      Delete
  3. Dood. I kinda worried about that, the minute he insisted she call him by his first name so quickly....

    I don't know why that ticked me off. But it did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's a creepy guy and Carson isn't going to be so nice about it.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Nope I don't like Jason, not one little bit. Bridge should put him in his place but she's oblivious to what's happening. Poor Carson is left wondering what's going on between them. I know there's nothing on Bridges' part but Jason is certainly trying to steal her. At least she got an art exhibit out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason is a creep! I mean he's literally trying to steal her right in front of Carson. Who does that?! Jerk! lol

      I felt really bad for Carson. He knows that Bridge would never do anything but for a moment, he questions it.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete