Saturday, November 15, 2014

Some notes before the next chapter

I debated about including these notes in the actual chapter but I decided to put them in a post. I'm planning on posting the next chapter today or tomorrow but before I do, I thought I'd share one of the reasons it's taken me so long to post this chapter.

My game was running slow, and when I say slow, I mean sssslllloooowwww. It would lag whenever I tried to turn to get a better view for a picture and if I went into CAS. . .I literally wanted to pull my hair out for how long it took to load all the clothes/hair.

I was desperate to get the game running smooth again so I started looking up how to compress package files. I was a little skeptical if it would actually work, but I figured if it didn't, I could always just go back to the old way the files were stored and begin pulling my hair out again.

I was beyond happy when after compressing files I started the game (took little time), loaded a saved George game (again, took the fraction of the time it had been before compressing), and went into CAS. . .It was almost like I had a brand new game! 

With that, I realized that I might be able to turn up some of the graphic settings on the game; one of which was the sims details. And oh my goodness!!! It was like I was seeing them for the first time!!! They still look the same, just clearer and you can actually really see Steph's freckles!!!!  (it's not like the one time in Bridge's generation where I tried a new skin and they looked too different).

George before:




George after:





Steph before:



Steph after: 






So after this, if you're looking at George, Steph, Trev, any of the characters and are thinking "They look different." That's why. If anyone is interested in doing this, here's the link to the website I referred to  when I was trying to figure this all out.

Martine's Blog

I will warn, that if you do this, it's recommended that you not compress worlds, mods (the ones that change the game), and any sims store content. (I also didn't compress lots). It's also a good idea to back up your download folder and packages folder before attempting to make any changes to them (that way if something messes up, you have the original folders to put back into the game).

And while I was poking around trying to find info about compressing files, I stumbled back across the "anti-glare" lighting mod and some other color lighting mods. I don't know why I fought this for so long, but I finally gave in and installed them and some may notice a difference in the sky and that the annoying glare is gone from the pictures (Thank God!).

Here's the link for the anti-glare mod: 

Anti-glare Lighting Mod

And here's a link to the lighting mods: 

Burnt Waffles Lighting Mods


Just thought I'd pass on this info in case some readers were interested.

Thanks so much for continuing to read this story.

6 comments:

  1. Nice lighting! Isn't merging files so great?? LOL I merged mine a long time ago and definitely noticed a great difference.
    But I warn you, don't let the newly great running game decisive you.. I made the mistake of merging everything (even though I still have the folders saved from before I merged) and I still continued to download more and more stuff now that my game had been running so smoothly. Now I don't know where to begin on backtracking and getting rid of things I had merged and don't need anymore! Hahaha I'm dealing with that bullshit now in my game.. I got a little ahead of myself and went crazy with CC, but CC does that to the best of us, I guess.. XD
    Happy your game is running well now, though!
    Also, brntwaffles lighting mods are the best, good choice. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there sweet lady! I hope you've been well!

      I can't believe the difference in how the game runs! I wish I had done it sooner. . .

      I've already started looking and downloading more cc. lol!!! One of the reasons I needed to compress them anyway. haha!

      I'm in love with the lighting mods! Between that and turning the graphics up it's made a big difference in how they all look. So glad that I discovered them! One of the benefits of Tumblr! Which I love seeing your sims 4 family pics on there! :)

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Glad you're making use of the no glow mod :) I too am a merge-a-holic. I merge pretty much everything. Including most store content and mods. Though I always keep a separate directory of the single packages, as I do occasionally want to remove things or change how I have them merged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for making it!! It's made a world of difference!

      I've done that too with my files. Kept a separate directory in case I decide to get rid of some cc later.

      Thank you again so much!!

      Delete
  3. First, I believe George is even HOTTER than before. Wow! What a difference! I've had my settings on high for awhile, so I understand completely. I couldn't go back.

    I also merged all my stuff including store content. I've never heard it wasn't ok, so I may look into that a little more. It's such a pain to uninstall store content via the launcher.

    Yes, Brntwaffles is THE best in lighting. I have one that is my fav and I've not changed it since he came out with it. (Perfect Day, I think its called).

    I'm seriously considering getting rid of Story Progression. Since I rarely "play" the game, I feel like it is a waste to have it if it isn't really truly being used. However, map tags. I don't know if I could live without them.

    Anyway, glad you were able to update things. Looking forward to amazing pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hate to light George. He always needed special lighting for some reason. Once i changed the settings and added the lighting mod. . .He doesn't need it as much. :) I will never go back to a lower setting either. They just look so much better.

      I have no idea what's okay and not okay for merging. Lol! I just didn't want someone to come along and read about merging files on here and their files and game get messed up. ;)

      LOVE Brntwaffles lighting! Especially for the Paradise Island chapter I'm getting ready to take pictures for. :)

      I hardly ever play with story progression. So I completely understand.

      Thanks lovesstorms! I'm so glad to see you again! :)

      Delete