Monday, September 30, 2013

Bridgette - Chapter Six: I'm Done


It felt like the never-ending senior year. If I had known that this is what my senior year was going to be like I would have begged Mom to homeschool me or at least send me off to a private school. Anything would have been better than the hell I had been living for the last six months.
 
 
It was March and the only things I was thankful for was the fact that the dreary looking winter was coming to an end and there was only a couple months left until graduation.  All I wanted to do was graduate high school and paint. I had decided that I didn’t want to go to college but instead just wanted to stay at home for a couple of years and start my painting career. I figured I could save some money while living at home and then after a couple of years I could put a down payment on a house and live on my own. 
 
 
Those were the dreams that were keeping me going the last several months.  As I sat on my bed I thought back over the last several months. It was pretty much the same crap over and over. There would be what I referred to as “the calm before the storm,” the Waverly storm. During that time it seemed like things were going decent. I was still feeling like the odd duck in our group and it seemed that we were all doing less things as a group. So I was usually left to find something to do by myself which usually ended up being painting.
 
 
Then the storm would hit. I swear Waverly had spies in that school. I would no sooner say something or would be alone with Carson before she would find me and warn me to back off or watch what I said.  I remember one time Carson and I happened to walk to class together and she flipped out. She claimed that someone had told her that while he and I were walking to class together that I was hanging all over him and flirting with him.  No matter how many times I tried to deny things, she always seemed convinced that I was out to get Carson. She had somehow convinced herself that my goal was to steal Carson away from her. My only goal was to get everyone to realize who she really was which was hard since she never acted this way when anyone else was around. She would always find a way to get me alone when she blew up.
 
 
That’s probably one reason why Carson and her were still together. If someone had told me at the beginning of the school year that they would still be together with two months left to go in the school year, I would have laughed right in their face.  I would have told them Carson was smarter than that.  I really struggled with that fact; the fact that my best friend had been so oblivious and infatuated that he was blinded to who the girl he was dating truly was.   Blinded for almost a whole school year to how she treated me, his supposed best friend. At this point, the only reason I was continuing with my revenge plan was to get back at Waverly for all of the months of hell she had put me through. I had long ago given up on the idea of Carson and I being friends after he and Waverly broke up. I just didn’t think there was a way that I could forgive him for being so blind.

I was interrupted by a knocking on my door and the sound of Mom’s voice on the other side “Honey, can we come in for a minute?” I guessed that the we meant her and Dad.

I stood up. “Sure, come on in.”
 
 
Mom entered my room with dad entering behind her. Mom sat down on at the end of my bed and dad chose the other bed. They both had serious looks on their faces which kind of scared me.
 
 
“Bridge, we were wondering what you plans are after high school. We realized that you hadn’t really talked to us about it.”
 
 
“Well, I figured that I could stay here for a couple of years while I start my painting career and that would give me a chance to save up some money for a house of my own.”
 
 
Mom and Dad looked at each other and an unspoken understanding happened between them. I noticed Mom take a deep breath. “Have you ever considered college?”

I looked confusingly between the two of them. I had no idea where this was coming from. Neither of them had ever mentioned anything about me going to college. “Why would I go to college when what I want to do is paint? Do you think painting isn’t good enough of a career? I figured since both of you have had careers that aren’t “normal” that you would be supportive of my choice.”
 
 
“No, it’s not that we’re not supportive of your career choice, it’s that there’s so much you could learn about your career by going to college. You’d be learning from people who have themselves studied to paint.”
 
 
“Let me ask you this, did you go to college to learn to be a composer?”
 
 
“No, but I am the rare exception.”

“But you still didn’t go to college, right?”

“No I didn’t, but . . .”

“What about you Dad? Did you go to college to learn to be a rodeo rider or a ranch owner?”

“No, but. . .”
 
 
“So then why should I have to go to college to learn to be a painter?”
 
 
“Because even though neither of us went to school, we still learned from those who had more knowledge than us; it’s very important to do that so you can progress. If you don’t, you’ll be stuck.” Mom explained.
 
 
“Then why doesn’t Charlie have to go to school? Why should I have to go to college and Charlie is allowed to stay here?”
 
 
“Because Charlie will be learning how to run the ranch from me, plus he will be signing up for some business classes from the local community college. I wish I had more understanding of the business end of running a ranch and that’s something I can’t teach him.” Dad piped in.
 
 
“Why can’t I just do that then? I could sign up for some classes at the community college.”
 
 
“Bridgette, we really think you should look at all your options and that includes going away to college.” Mom said more sternly.
 
 
“What if I look into it and I decide that I’d rather stay here and take some classes at the community college?”

I could tell neither one of them wanted to answer. It was then that I realized that my parents weren’t really suggesting that I look into going to college; they were pretty much telling me that whether I wanted to or not, I was going.
 
 
“I don’t understand why you both are doing this? Why are you basically forcing me to go to college?!”
 
 
“We both think this is the best thing for you Bridge. All we’re asking is that you give it a year. If you decide that after a year that you don’t want to continue then you can come back home and go ahead with your plan.” Dad tried to reassure me.

I was furious. I had almost finished the crappiest senior year and now my parents were telling me what to do after I graduated. I knew I had no choice; if I wanted them to support me then I was going to have to go along with their plan at least for a year.
 
 
“If I agree, do I have your word that if I choose to leave college after a year that you will uphold your part of the bargain and let me live here until I can support myself?”

“Yes, we will do that but only if you uphold your part of the bargain.” Mom agreed.

I took a deep breath and let out a heavy sigh. “Fine. But I want you to know that I am not happy about this and I’m only doing it because you’ve basically given me no choice.”
 
 
“Bridge, please try to . . .” Dad started to explain

“Just please leave.” I told them turning away from both of them so they wouldn’t see the tears that were forming in my eyes. They got up and quietly left my room closing the door behind them.

Once I heard their footsteps go down the hallway I laid back down on my bed and started crying. I felt like I had lost everything; my friends, my senior year, and now the dreams that had kept me from slipping into a depression. I was done; done with high school, done with wanting revenge, done with Appaloosa Plains and most definitely done with Carson and Waverly. As far as I was concerned, they could have each other and Carson could find out on his own who Waverly really was.
 
 


18 comments:

  1. Aww poor Bridge :( I can't wait for Carson to find out what a fake Waverly is and for him to completely tell her off, haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrrrrr Amanda and Chuck. WTF? My dad did that to me, go to college, go to college, I had a shitty time because I never wanted to go in the first place. Ugh, that touched a nerve. LOL.
    Yeah you can learn stuff from other people, but I found a lot of those people I learned from were not at my college. It was only after I graduated that I found those people to learn about what I actually wanted. I don't know how common it is, but at my college, it was really common that the professor had not done a single thing in the field they were teaching. Therefore, in my head because they had no real life experience, they were no more knowledgeable than I was. You can be theoretical all you want, but it's the hands on where you actually learn. I guess I agree with Bridgette, she could learn a lot more about painting by doing it herself. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the completely opposite experience in college. All my professors had field experience and were VERY knowledgeable. I also wanted to go to college. I really enjoyed it. Sorry yours wasn't as fun. I think Bridge too could learn more from painting and other actually in the painting community.

      Both Chuck and Amanda sought out their careers. They took the initiative to start them and get better. So far, Bridge hasn't done that. So to them, she's about to graduate from high school and really didn't have much of a plan or any intention of carrying out any plan to start her career. To them, for the moment, colle like a good idea.

      Delete
  3. All of the things happening have taken a toll on her. I hope that she does go to college and finds a nice guy and lots of friends so that she can forget the high school junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully college will be a calmer environment for her. : )

      Delete
  4. Poor Bridget. It sucks that she feels that her parents are trying to make descisions for her, but they are just doing what they think is best. My parents did the same thing, and it drove me nuts. They still do to this day. Ugh. Great chapter though! I'm still looking forward to the Waverly revenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amandralynn!

      It will end up being the best for her; she can't see it right now though.

      I really found myself in college. There was something about being away from parents and people that knew me that allowed me to find myself without pressure from others. I think that happens for many people. That's what's going to happen with Bridge and she's really going to start coming into her own.

      Waverly revenge will be sweet and long overdue!! : )

      Delete
  5. Hmmm. I feel awful, but I'm siding with the parents. She should go to college. Painting is a skill based art. She needs to learn from people who can help her. Plus, my mom did the same thing to me and I turned out alright.

    College is not for everyone, but she SHOULD keep her options open! You never know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Bridge would have had such a hard time if she hadn't going through all of this stuff. She still might not have been thrilled, but she would have had an easier time dealing with it. It's her whole dealing with change thing that really holds Bridge back.

      College, for some purposes, is going to turn out to be a good thing for Bridge. : ) Too bad she can't see into the future. . .=D

      Delete
  6. Wow! I read a lot yesterday while I was giving plasma. I couldn't write (one arm was sort of tied up) but I hope to be half as good as you are! Granted, I am doing a wishacy, so it's based on what the sim wants. I just hope I can write it as I go so it makes some sort of sense. I finally got to play last night and took TONS of pictures. :)

    As to poor Bridge, she is incredibly naive, but she's young. Oh, and she's very self-absorbed. However, I feel like college will be very good for her! In fact, I kind of hope she doesn't get together with Carson before then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for giving plasma!

      Oh my goodness! Thank you for that compliment! *blushing* You're already doing a great job! That's one of the great things about reading other people's stories; it gives you ideas and inspiration (plus it provides a good distraction form real life). I really appreciate the kind words!!

      Oh my gosh! She is just ridiculously naive and self-absorbed. College is going to do wonders for Bridge! :)

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  7. I feel for Bridge about this but I also feel it will be good for her. College will help her grow as a person and it will give her a better understanding of her art and also help her focus her art. I can't wait to see what revenge she comes up with ~Buys front row ticket~
    I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridge is very sheltered and going to college will be a good thing for her, but if you asked her, she'd very much disagree. She will start to feel better, she just needs to get some things off her chest first. ; )

      Thanks for reading and commenting, Lily!

      Delete
  8. As tough as this might be - this really is the best for her. She really needs to get some experience outside her little life. She has everything wrapped up in a little bow in her mind and she needs her bubble popped so she can handle real strife when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She really needs some life experiences. She's had such an easy sheltered life at home and that's pretty much what Amanda and Chuck want for her, is to get out and live.

      Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  9. Poor Bridge feeling her life is out of her control. The one thing she was looking forward to has just been taken from her. But college will be good for her and allow her to grow as a person although she may not see it now. Still hoping Waverly gets what she deserves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel really bad for Bridge at this point. Everything has changed and it seems like whenever things start to settle down again, something else pops up to knock her down again.

    She really needs to get out of the bubble she's been living in and college is a place where that can happen.

    Ugh! Waverly just needs to go away!

    Thanks for reading and commenting, DandyLion!

    ReplyDelete