Friday, June 21, 2013

Chapter Two: Mysterious Tension

“Great! What a way to start the morning!” I pulled a pan of burnt waffles out of the oven and placed them on a plate and began eating them.

I didn’t have the time to make any more. I was going to call Chuck and see if he wanted to go to the Summer Festival. He had given me his number last night and told me if I ever wanted to hang out, to give him a call.

I cleaned the plate and picked up my cell phone.

“This is Chuck.”


 
 
“Hey Chuck, it’s Amanda. The girl from last night at the Tavern.”
 
 
 
 
“Oh. Hey! What’s up?”
 
“I had some time before work and I was wondering if you wanted to go to the Summer Festival."
 
“Umm, I’m kind of working right now.”
  

 
 
“Oh right! Directing traffic. Sorry, I forgot.”
 
“That’s okay, maybe I’ll catch up with you later.”
 
“Sure. Bye.”
 
I had a couple hours before reporting for my first day at work and decided spend my time unpacking and playing my guitar. When it came time to head to work, I heard the company car honk. I grabbed my stuff and headed out the door. After a short drive, I walked into the building and to the main office area.
 
 
 
 
I soon met two of my coworkers Josy Clover and Honey Darnell. Both were very nice and chatted with me about the town and some of the people. While talking with Honey, I found out that she was the girl Chuck had told me about last night. They apparently started dating a couple of weeks ago. She was happy that Chuck had been so nice to me and promised that the three of us would go out soon. Both Honey and Josy were insistent about setting me up with guy friends of theirs. While they were talking, Johnny walked into the room.
 
“Morning ladies!”
 
“Morning Johnny. How are you this morning?” Josy asked.
 
 
 
 
“I’m doing well. Hey, Amanda, I was wondering if I could talk to you a second.”
 
What!? Why!? Did I do something wrong already!?
 
Johnny led me to another area of the office. “I was wondering if you’d be available to stay late tonight. We have a deadline to meet for a recording and need someone to stay late to help with odds and ends kind of things.”
 
Is he serious? I certainly want the experience but would I be able to be around him and not act like a dork.
 
“Sure! I can stay to help.” What? Why did I just agree to help? I seem to have almost no control when I'm around him.
 
“Good. We’ll start around 8:30 and go until we’re done recording. See you then.”
 
I stood there stunned for a moment and then rejoined Josy and Honey.
 
 

 
“What was that all about?” Honey asked.
 
“Something about finishing a recording tonight and asking if I was available to help.”
 
“Oh yeah. He asked both Josy and me if we were available but I have a date and Josy has plans too.”
 
That made me feel a little better. As long as he didn’t return my feelings, then maybe we could interact with each other without many awkward moments.
 
Work continued on and soon Josy and Honey were getting ready to leave.
 
I was sitting at the front desk when I heard a familiar voice. “Hey city girl. Watcha doin?”
 

 
 
It was Chuck and his blue eyes. I didn’t even mind that he called me a city girl.
 
“Hey, what brings you here?”
 
“I’m just here to pick up Honey. We’re going on a date tonight.”
 
“Oh that’s right! She told me about that earlier.”
 
 
 
 
“You taking an interest in me?” Is he flirting again? I can’t quite tell. Maybe he's just trying to keep the conversation going.
 

 
 
“No, she just happened to mention that she had a date tonight with the traffic cop. Wasn’t hard to connect the dots.”
 
“Must be that city education.”
 
“Ha ha! Poke fun of the city girl. Real nice there Marlboro Man.”
 
“Marlboro Man, eh?”
 

 
 
We were having so much fun giving each other a hard time that we didn’t notice that Johnny had walked in the room.
 

 
 
“Hey Chuck, don’t you think it’s about time for you to be taking Honey on that date?”
 
Why does Johnny look upset? And why does he care whether or not Chuck is taking Honey on a date? I turned to look at Chuck and he had a confused look on his face. I watched Chuck walk over to Johnny and they talked for a minute. At one point, Johnny pointed towards me and Chuck turned and looked at me.
 

 
 

 


Right then, Honey walked out to the lobby.
 
“Hey Chucky! Ready to take me out.”
 
“Uh, Yeah…yeah. Let’s get going. See you later Johnny.”
 

 
 
 
He walked right past me and didn’t even look at me. What in the world just happened? Something weird is going on.
 
 
 

 
 
“Hey, you ready to help on that recording now?” Johnny interrupted my thoughts.
 
“Yeah, be right there.”
 
“Cool, see you there in a minute.” He turned and walked towards the recording studio.
 

 
 
 
 I sat down in one of the lobby chairs. I wasn’t sure what just happened between Chuck and Johnny but something was definitely going on.


 

19 comments:

  1. OMG, she's kind of oblivious... like I am when it comes to guys. Haha! I think Chuck was flirting a little bit, and maybe Johnny has a crush on her. :X ROFL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Yeah, she's a little oblivious. And it will eventually hit her between the eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drama! I sense drama ahead! She is oblivious, but its cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, VERY oblivious. There might be a little drama ahead... :)

      Delete
  4. *LOLROFL*MarlboroMan!!! That was too funny! hahahaha
    Ahem.... after the laughter :) .... I am beginning to wonder if her getting that job was maybe a set up. Maybe Johnny already knew of her ... or he simply has fallen head over heels.... he looks much older than her.... or maybe Chuck is a real big flirt and Johnny is telling him to stay away.... he likes her, Johnny does.... Obviously *L*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Glad you liked the Marlboro Man reference. It seemed fitting for her to say that to him.

      I think Johnny had fallen for Amanda the moment he saw her. Might have had something to do with her getting the job. . . ;) He is much older than her, which is another one of her concerns.

      Chuck and Amanda's relationship is complicated right now. Partly because Amanda's oblivious to what's really going on.

      Delete
  5. Looks like Johnny is jealous. Well Amanda likes him so that is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Oh my yes! He is quite jealous. He knows it and Chuck knows it but Amanda hasn't caught on yet.

      Thanks for commenting Colorist!

      Delete
  6. ooohhh....I was right about the triangle. However, Chuck might just be a flirt. There are people out there like that!

    Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck is definitely a flirt but he really is interested in her but he's also friends with Johnny so things could get interesting. . .

      Johnny knows Chuck well enough to know when he's interested so he's letting Chuck know to back off. One of those guy things.

      Thank you so much! It was a fun one to write.

      Delete
  7. Probably chastising him for being so affable. Some people don't think there's such thing as men and women just being friends.... at least I hope that's all it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Chuck thought he was doing too, being really friendly. Has slightly peeved at Johnny for making a scene like that and it's left poor oblivious Amanda very confused.

      Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Oh Amanda Amanda - stealing hearts wherever you go! Honey is going to be gutted if you steal her man.She's in a sticky situation now - her boss is already territorial - if anything happens and it goes south she's screwed!

    (Incidentally Honey just died in my Appaloosa - I feel pretty sad about it now :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! She is in quite a dilemma but she wouldn't steel Chuck from Honey. She's still trying to figure Chuck out at this point. There's a reason that Johnny and Chuck had that exchange and it's revealed why later.

      Aww! Poor Honey. :(

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  9. What an interesting set of circumstances. Johnny is acting all jealous and Chuck is flirting and Amanda is oblivious. This is sure to make for some drama :)
    Side note in my Appaloosa game Honey cheated on Chuck with Johnny and had Johnny's baby and they eventually got married. But it completely ruined Chuck's and Johnny's friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're an interesting trio, aren't they? lol!

      Hahaha! Oh that Honey! She's a funny lady. I can see why their friendship didn't last after that though. Wow! lol!

      Thanks again for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  10. Wow, the whole tension thing between Chuck and Johnny was weird. I wonder why. Poor Amanda asking Chuck on a "Date" and then he's going out with Honey. Oh dear. I'm not sure I like Johnny that much, but I guess he's single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird and it has Amanda completely confused. She eventually finds out why, though it takes a little while. :) Johnny's one of those characters that it takes a bit to warm up to him, but he's really a nice guy.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think Johnny's a nice guy. I just think he's too old for Amanda.

      Delete