Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chapter One: Part One - City Girl


As my cab pulled into the town of Appaloosa Plains, I could hardly contain my excitement. Ever since I was a little girl I had dreamed of living amongst horses, farms, and of course…cowboys. I used to tell my parents and anyone else that would listen about all the adventures I would have and how one day I’d meet a cowboy that would sweep me off my feet.   No one understood it, I don’t even know if I did.  Having grown up in the city it made no sense why I would have any dreams about living in the country but my parents always encouraged me to follow my heart.  Thanks in large part to them; I was finally starting to realize my dream.

As the taxi entered the town, I rolled down the window to breathe in the pure country air.  It was amazing how cleaner the air was out here in the country.  While leaning out to catch another breath, I caught sight of the town sign.
Welcome to Appaloosa Plains
I settled back into my seat and tried to keep my excitement under control.  Soon the cab would be pulling up to my new home!
This is insane! I can’t believe that I am actually here!
“Ma’am, where would you like me to take you first?”
“Oh! Umm…I suppose we could just go to my house and then if I need to go anywhere else, I’ll just figure it out.  The address is 1007 Pomona Promenade. Thank you!”
“Will do Ma’am!”
I was anxious to see my new home.  I had made a trip into town several weeks before to find a house.  I looked at several houses before settling on this particular one and had fallen in love with it the second I saw it. The realtor had tried to talk me out of it, though.
 

“Here we have a one bedroom, fully furnished home on a large lot.  Not much too it, very simple and I’m sure not very exciting for a city girl like yourself.”
I had looked around the outside and couldn’t help but notice the view. Beautiful trees as far as you could see and where there weren’t trees, tons of open space.  Not something I was used to seeing.
“This isn’t very far from the town center, is it?” I inquired.
“Yes, it’s close, but…”
“And I can see the festival grounds from here.  That’s an added bonus.”
“Yes, that is nice, but…”
“Can we have a look inside?”
“All right, but I can’t help think that this is way too big a lot for a single city girl like yourself.”
The realtor let me in and I saw what the realtor was talking about.
 
 
It was a small house. There was one larger room that had a kitchen, dining table, and living area combined. There was a bedroom that had room only for a bed and a very tight bathroom.  There were no pictures, rugs, or decorative features anywhere.


 
We walked back outside and the realtor commented on the house again.
“You see. I told you, not very exciting especially for a city girl.”


 
Why did she keep pointing that out? For a city girl. City girl. Is that how everyone will treat me here? Like I’m some kind of prissy, frou-frou city girl.
“I’ll take it!”
“I’m sorry…You’ll what?”
“I’ll take it! It’s perfect. The house is the perfect size. There isn’t much to do as far as the yard. The price is right and it has a wonderful location.  When can I sign the papers?”


 
The realtor looked at me like I had grown two heads. After several seconds she regained her composure and told me we could head back to her office and sign the papers.
The taxi turned onto Pomona Promenade pulling me away from my thoughts. It wouldn’t be long now. I would soon be living on my own in the country. As the car came to a stop, I looked out the window at my new home.
I hope I’ll be happy here.
The cab driver exited the car and went around to the trunk to get my luggage. I got out of the vehicle and was surprised to see that the driver was taking my luggage up to the front door.
“That’s okay! I can get that.”
“No Ma’am. I wouldn’t feel right letting you carry all these bags.”
“Well, thank you.”
After he placed the last bag near the door I gave him a generous tip.  He thanked me, got in the cab and left.
I’m all alone. I’m actually all alone.
It was both exciting and scary at the same time.  I had grown up in a house with three other sisters so I had never felt like I was ever alone.  For a brief moment, panic swept over me.
All right! Enough of that. Your perfectly capable of taking care of yourself!
I picked up a couple of bags and opened the door. After placing the bags in the bedroom, I looked around my new home.  It may be small and very simple, but it still felt cozy
Well, I guess I better go check in at work.
While checking out houses several weeks ago I had also applied for a music position.  I was thrilled when I found out that they had chosen me.   They had asked me to check in once I arrived in town.


 
The thought of meeting my new boss made me fidget like a little girl.  We had never met face to face but I knew who he was.  He was a well-known song writer and I about flipped out when I learned that I would be working for him. Before entering his office I smoothed out my skirt and shirt.  I opened the door and saw him sitting at his desk.
 
 
“You must be Amanda.”
 
 
I literally froze in place. I had assumed that since he lived in a little country town Johnny Johnson would look like a stereotypical cowboy.  In front of me sat the complete opposite.  He had silky long hair, wore shinny shoes and stylish clothes; not at all what I had expected.
He got up and approached me to shake my hand.
 
 
“It’s nice to finally meet you. Our HR person has told me quite a bit about you.”
As our hands met I felt a little jolt go up my arm. 
 Oh no! Did my face just give that away? Did he feel the same thing I just felt? Get it together Amanda! You didn’t move into the country to fall for your boss or a guy who isn’t a cowboy!
I quickly took my hand back.
“Thank you. I’m really excited to be working here.”
“Great! Let’s have a seat and chat for a bit.”
 
 
As we sat in his office talking, I learned that he had also lived in the city. He left to enjoy a more relaxed pace and so he could own his own ranch.
After chatting he offered to give me a tour of the building.  He showed me the main office area and the recording studio. 

  
While we were in the studio I started admiring the piano. I had only played an old upright piano that was at my parents’ house.  I had always wanted to play a baby grand.
“Do you play?” He asked pointing to the piano.
“I do, but I’ve never played on anything so beautiful.”
“Go ahead. Have a go.”
I eased my way onto the bench and let my fingers rest for a moment on the smooth keys. I noticed that there was a piece on the piano and began playing. 

Occasionally, I would look over at Johnny and see him smiling at me.  I was noticing how nice his smile was when my fingers started to fumble over the keys.
 
 
“Oops! I guess that’s why I’m not a concert pianist.” I said jokingly.
“I thought you played beautifully.”
I could feel the blood rush to my face.
Why do I feel so nervous around him?
 I tried to regain my composure as we walked toward the entrance.
“Thank you for showing me around Mr. Johnson.”
“Johnny. Everyone here calls me Johnny; and you’re very welcome.  We’ll see you tomorrow then.”


 
After fixing some dinner at home, I was anxious to check out Adventure Landing.  The realtor had told me that it was a great place to watch the sunset.  I checked myself out in the mirror before leaving.
You never know when you’ll meet a handsome cowboy.
After a short cab ride I was at the landing.  Boy, was the realtor right! This would be an amazing place to watch the sunset, or sunrise. It would be beautiful as the light reflected on the water.
I made my way to the water and saw some stones.  As I looked at them I realized that I had never skipped a stone; not even once as a kid.  I picked up a stone and threw it across the water.  It actually went pretty far.
 

 
I skipped several stones and then stood there taking in the sight and breathing. I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds around me; the water lapping on the beach, the birds calling to each other, the fish splashing in the water…
“Fancy meeting you here.”
I opened my eyes, turned around, and saw Johnny.
 
 
 

36 comments:

  1. First comment!

    Ooh I like the tension between Johnny and Amanda. Wow the beach is so pretty, looks like a potential romantic setting. ;)

    Hmm I don't get why the realtor seems so...skeptical about selling Amanda the house.

    Btw, if you want to get rid of the green plumbob you can write "hideheadlineeffects on" after ctrl+shift+c.

    Looking forward to seeing how Amanda adjusts to country life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the heads up about the plumbob! That thing drives me crazy!

    The realtor is like a lot of people in town who think that since Amanda is a "city girl" she can't cut it living in the country. :) hopefully she proves them wrong.

    Beach scenes are so fun. There will definitely be more of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. Wow, that realtor. She was so mean! LOL. Realtor, you're supposed to be trying to advertise the house, not make the customer feel bad about themselves. Haha, you wrote that really well. I think it's cute that Amanda keeps wanting to meet a cowboy. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for commenting!

    You'd think I had a bad experience with a realtor to write her like that, but that's not the case. :^)

    Thank you so much for the compliment! It's sometimes hard to gauge how it is since I have all the character knowledge in my head. Sometimes I wonder if it's making sense to everyone else.

    What happens after meeting a cowboy is what is interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You nailed the feeling of walking into your own apartment for the first time and realizing you don't have your family with you. Brings back memories for sure. Johnny is cute - and he's probably a lot more of a cowboy than Amanda realizes. Fancy meeting you here indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      Johnny is a really sweet guy (as you'll see in later chapters). Isn't it interesting how he just happened to run into her? Lol!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. This is adorable! I like Amanda and Johnny. What was up with that realtor, I know she is a city girl and all, but did the realtor need to point that out every two seconds? I'm glad she found a place to her liking. That reception area looked awesome. I really liked that too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amandralynn! Thanks for stopping by!

      She was a rather rude realtor, wasn't she?

      Thank you for the nice comment about the reception area. I was wanting pics of her at work so I built a "set" to take pics at. It was fun to decorate.

      Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  7. wow you are a very talented writer im so happy I started reading now that your done with this first generation so I don't have to wait for updates lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

      Lol! It's always fun to read a whole bunch of chapters at once.

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  8. I meant to start this ages ago, but i had so many other stories i was trying to catch up on. I'm so glad that i did finally start this though, because I love it. Even after the first chapters it's one of the best i've seen in a while. I love the tension that you created between Amanda and Johnny. I'm dying to catch up on this, so i'm going to read like... Five of them tonight! just prepare for all my comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thank you so much! =D

      I love the tension you've created between Kady and Tristan!

      Delete
  9. Just started reading this and like everyone I'm glad did and now I have loads of chapters to read all at once, this is great!.
    Yeah that realtor is blughhh, she's lucky that Amanda didn't just turn tail and run after hearing that a few times but she seems to be a strong character who knows her own mind which is good to see and the chemistry she feels for Johnny is a good start, I wonder if he feels it too.
    Great writing, can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I went to your profile and saw you're Dream_Walker on the Sims 3 boards. Thanks for reading!

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  10. She has a very exciting future I am sure :) Even though the real estate lady was obviously jealous of a city girl, everyone else seems very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zhippidy! Thanks for reading!

      Real estate lady was super annoying. Not very keen to city folk.

      Delete
  11. well well well! Just found this story. It's excellent, you're a really good writer!

    I like Amanda and Johnny...did you purposely make him look like the poster in the recording room?

    Can't wait to read more of this awesome legacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thank you so much!

      *scrolling back up to look at poster* LLOL! No, that's so funny I never noticed that before! Johnny and Chuck are Sims in the game. They already live together in Appaloosa Plains. Perhaps it might be a Sims Resource poster and someone took Johnny and made a poster of him. But that is amazing that you noticed it!

      Thank you so much again! I really appreciate it when people take the time to read and comment!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really enjoyed reading through your story!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading it and commenting!

      Delete
  13. Great 1st chapter! I'm really looking forward to getting into this story! Will come back later to read more (had to sneak the 1st chapter while I was at work). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! I left you a comment on your story too. =D

      Thanks again for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  14. Uhoh. No dating bosses. That's a big no-no :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yes, it is a big no-no. Thank you so much for commenting and reading! I really like your story "Life is an Odyssey" and am trying to catch up on it!

      Delete
  15. Amanda is very pretty. I admire her fearlessness for picking up and following her dreams of moving to the country. That's strange the realtor kept trying to convince her not to take the place. Amanda seems interested in Johnny, we'll see how it goes. Great start to your story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks so much for checking out my story!

      Appaloosa is a small town so some people aren't so friendly to new people or to city folk. She just really thought it was too much for a city girl to take on.

      Could be interesting since he's her boss. . .lol. :)

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  16. Wow - I loved this forst chapter - great job writing the tension between Amanda and Johnny - He's hot though I'd never usually go for a guy with long hair. This is also the first legacy I've read set in the same town as mine - it's interesting to see all the lots from your perspective :)
    I look forward to reading more X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      I was really surprised that Amanda liked Johnny! Just didn't seem like he would be her type.

      Oh wow! You have a legacy set in Appaloosa? I've really enjoyed the family being there so far. It's got a nice small town feeling to it. :)

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
    2. Yeah I've liked it so far - though the beach is a little less wow-ey than the previous towns it's got that sleepy community vibe which is perfect for my story (and yours too it seems!)

      It's my pleasure X

      Delete
    3. I couldn't agree more about the beach! Whenever I want something beachy I go to either Sunlit Tides or Paradise Island. :)

      The sleepy town feel and the country feel of it helped me decide on it. :D

      Delete
  17. Just started reading your legacy. It's very good. Have to admire Amanda in following her dream and moving from the city to the small town of Appaloosa Plains. I hope she finds the cowboy she has her heart set on meeting. Although Johnny wouldn't be a bad choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate you not only reading, but also commenting!

      I'm glad you admire her. :) I do too for her braveness to leave all she's known to pursue her dream. There could be a cowboy in her future, but you're right, Johnny's not a bad choice either.

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  18. I read your first chapter awhile ago, but looks like I never commented. I'm going back through and re-reading it. I like Amanda already and I hope she enjoys her new life in the country. Amanda's audition with Johnny was a nice touch. It was interesting that he showed up at the lake. There seems to be some romantic tension between them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much for taking time to read and comment!

      I'm glad you like Amanda! She's sweet, although at times a little oblivious and that sometimes gets her into trouble. Her audition always makes me smile. Johnny's so nice to her and is most definitely interested in her. :)

      Thanks again for reading and commenting! I really appreciate the kind words and interest!

      Delete