Monday, January 13, 2014

Special: 5,000 Views - A Chance Meeting



 As I sit here getting ready to post this special chapter I can't help but feel grateful and humbled. When I started this legacy I hoped and wished that maybe some day in the very distant future I might have 5,000 views on this story. Here it is seven months later and I'm in complete shock that Listening to My Heart has reached over 5,000 views. It's insane to me.

Thank you so much for reading! I can't express how grateful I am. This is definitely a labor of love and the fact that people actually read this story is icing on the cake.

This special chapter is from the past. It's the actual story of how Carson and Bridge met. In the chapter where Carson and Bridge get married, Charlie will talk about this story but it's from his point of view. This is completely from Carson's point of view and shows what he felt and thought the first time he saw Bridge.

Thanks again for reading! Hope you enjoy!



******

The first day of high school; it felt like a magical day to me.  I didn’t know why, after all it wasn’t going to be that different from middle school. Julia, Trent and I would hang out and eat lunch together. Exactly what we had done in middle school; but as I pushed open the front doors of the school I couldn’t help but think that the sun was shining a little brighter that day. I walked a little further in before I spotted Trent and Julia. 




“Hey guys! So how does it feel to be high schoolers?” 




“About the same as it did to be middle schoolers; just in a different building.” Trent joked.




“What’s with you? You seem. . .peppy.” Julia scrunched her nose at me.




“I don’t know; I woke up this morning feeling full of energy and excitement. I feel like something great is going to happen any minute now!” I enthused.


“Well can you tone it down, sunshine? Some of us don’t like you peppy morning type people.” Trent complained. 


“Sorry, grumpy.” I poked fun at him.


“Well, I guess we better get going to our homerooms. It stinks that none of us are in one together.” Julia pouted.


“At least we all get to eat lunch together.” Trent tried to comfort her.


“Come on guys! Stop acting so down in the dumps! It’s the first day of high school. You could at least be excited about that!” I tried to pump them up.




“The only thing I’m feeling right now is sick.” Julia said.


“Are you really that nervous? You’ll be fine.” Trent tried to reassure her.


We walked down the hallway and I said goodbye to them as they each went into their homeroom classes. I reached my room and walked in. There weren’t many people in the room yet so I grabbed a seat in the back. As more people came into the class I started looking around for any familiar faces. I didn’t really see anyone though. Not very many people from our middle school were zoned for this high school so Julia, Trent and I were thrilled when we found out that we would be at the same school. 




I continued to sit at the desk and think about how I still felt like this was going to be a great day. It was the strangest feeling; I had nothing to base it on except this overwhelming feeling that something great was going to happen. I chuckled to myself and shook my head. I must have drunk too much coffee before school. I pulled out a notebook and began doodling while I waited for the bell to ring. As I continued to doodle I heard a racket coming from the hallway and looked up at the door.  I watched as a brown haired guy walked in as he turned around to talk to someone in the doorway behind him. 





The bell rang and I heard the teacher tell everyone to take a seat. Right as she said it the person the brown haired guy was talking to entered the room with him. I saw a beautiful, reddish brown haired girl walk in and I literally stopped breathing for a minute. I had never seen a more beautiful girl! She had the most gorgeous blue eyes, and her body. . .flawless.  I started watching them more closely as they sat down next to each other;  I began trying to figure out if they were together. I soon realized though that they looked a lot alike.






“Those are the Hobble twins.” A guy next to me said and I realized I had been staring at her with my mouth hanging open.  “You can look all you want at her, but the reality of it is Bridgette Hobble doesn’t pay much attention to guys.”




“Why?” I didn’t know if I wanted to know the answer.


“She just seems to have other things on her mind. I’ve seen several guys try to get her to date them and she just doesn’t go for the bait. Plus her brother is like her own personal body guard. You don’t get past him, there’s no hope of getting to her.”


“Thanks dude.” I said and then went back to watching the Hobble twins. They definitely seemed close and I noticed that some other guys were sneaking looks at her and she seemed too preoccupied to notice. Her brother noticed though and would glare at them when she wasn’t paying attention.  I sat in homeroom the rest of the time watching them and trying to come up with an idea of how I could meet, or even talk to her.


Bridgette. . .Bridgette. . .I kept saying her name over and over in my head. Just then the bell snapped me out of my daydreaming and I got up to go to my locker. I followed a little behind the Hobble twins and noticed that their lockers were pretty close to mine. I pretended to sort books in my locker as I listened to them talk.



“Oh come on, Charlie we need to have a pool party in the next couple of weeks!”





“I don’t know Bridge, I mean it’s fun hanging out with you and Kate but besides that, I’m just not interested in hanging out with other people.”




“Well you’re never going to if you don’t try to talk to new people. You should try it!” She said while closing her locker. “I’ll see you later.” I made sure I was looking at my locker as she left. Once I was sure she was gone I closed my locker and looked over at her brother. 




“Hey, um. . .I’ve got biology next and I have no idea where the room is, I was wondering if you knew.” I said to him.




He looked at me for a second and acted confused. “Are you talking to me?”




“Well, yeah. . .I mean if you don’t know that’s cool, I just figured I’d ask in case it could save me from wondering around the halls.”


“Umm. . .I think it’s down the hallway on the right.”


“Oh, thanks dude! You might have saved me from being forever lost in the halls of APH. I’m Carson, Carson Davila.”


“Charlie Hobble.” He closed his locker and we started walking together. “You didn’t go to Appaloosa Middle School, did you?”


“No, my friends and I are some of the only people to come from  Rolling Hills Middle School.”


“What do you think so far?”


“So far it’s been great. Hey, do you know that girl very well that you were talking to?”




“Seriously? She’s my sister, my twin sister.”




“Really! That’s cool! I’ve never met a set of twins before. Is it true what they say about twins that they can read each other’s minds, feel what the other one is feeling, all that neat stuff?” I asked him playing stupid. 


“No, I don’t guess so. At least she and I don’t.” He turned his attention to a girl who was walking up to us and smiled at her. “Hey Kate! Did you find your locker?”


The girl smiled. “I did. Who’s this you’re talking to?” She looked at me and smiled again.


“This is Carson. He was just asking me about Bridgette. He said he’s never met a set of twins before.”


“Really? Have you been living under a rock?” Kate asked.


“Kate, my sister and I have been best friends since we were born. Our parents are good friends so we’ve known each other our whole lives.”


“That’s cool! My friends and I have known each other since we were little too. Oh, here they come.” Trent and Julia saw me and walked over.


“Trent and Julia, this is Kate and Charlie.” Everyone greeted each other and we continued to talk for a couple of minutes. I started telling Julia and Trent about Charlie’s sister and trying to describe her to them.




The bell rang to let us know to get to class and I headed off to Biology. As I walked down the hall I looked down at my schedule and read the room number. I rolled my eyes as I thought about having to go to biology. I usually liked science classes but having biology at 8:00 in the morning was crazy.  I saw Julia for a split second and we waved at each other before I ducked into the room.
 

I entered the door and I looked around. All of the lab tables had at least one person at them which meant I was going to have to pick someone to sit with. I continued to look around and size up people as potential lab partners. 



I looked at the table that was in the back corner of the room and my heart stopped beating. It was her.  She had her head down and was reading something but I could tell it was definitely her.  There was no way I was going to pass up the chance to be her lab partner.  I took a deep breath and walked over to where she was sitting.




“Is this seat taken?” I asked her.


She slowly raised her head looked at me and the started looking around the room with a confused look on her face. After a moment she looked back at me. “Were you talking to me?” She asked surprised.




“Well, yeah. I’m Carson, Carson Davila. I went to Rolling Hills Middle School and don’t know many people here.  Everyone else looked a little weird to me and since I kind of know your brother, I figured you wouldn’t be weird like some of these other people might.   If you’d rather have someone else as your partner, or you’re waiting on someone else. . .” I didn’t want to push her too much or for her to think I was some kind of weirdo.




“Oh no! I’m not waiting on anyone. I was just confused; not many people talk to me besides my brother or friends so I didn’t realize you were talking to me. I don’t have a partner but I should warn you, I’m not very good at science. I’m more of an artsy person.”


“No kidding?” I said as I put my book down on the table and sat next to her. “What kind of art?”


“Painting.”


“You any good at it?”




She shrugged. “I’ve been told I am.”




I chuckled and she blushed a little. “Well, I guess if people tell you you’re good at it then you probably are.”


“What about you? What are you good at, Carson?” 


“Well, let’s see, I’m pretty good at science and sports.”




“That’s an odd combination. . .Not many jocks are into science.” She said matter of factly.




“Hey now! I never said I was a jock, and even if I was, you don’t have to say it like it’s a dirty word.” I kidded with her.




She smiled and chuckled. “I couldn’t help it. My experience is that most jocks are jerks and not into science.”




“Well, I guess I’m not your typical jock.” I smiled at her. She smiled back and I could feel my heart melting. She really didn’t seem to have any idea how beautiful she was.




“So. . .um. . .you know, you still haven’t told me what your name is.” I mentioned.


“Oh! I’m Bridgette, Bridgette Hobble. But I don’t like to be called Bridgette. Most people that know me call me Bridge.”




“Bridge, like a bridge you cross?”


“Yeah, my Dad started calling me that when I was little and it’s stuck.”


“Gotcha.” 



Just then the bell rang and the biology teacher walked in.

“Hello class, I’m Mister Fernando and this is Biology 101.” The second he started speaking I started chuckling. I couldn’t help it; he had the most nasily voice and his appearance was a sad sight to see. I looked over at Bridge and she was trying her hardest not to laugh too. 



We spent more time trying not to laugh at him then actually paying attention to the lesson. It felt like the class flew by and soon we were walking out of the room together.


“If you’re going to keep making comments about him and making me laugh, I’m never going to pass biology.” She said to me while smiling.




“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure we pass. Thankfully you have a lab partner who is good at science.” I kidded with her.




“Well that’s a relief.” She joked back. “Well, I guess I’ll see you later.” She said and walked away. As I turned to go to my next class, I saw Trent coming down the hallway.




“Hey, was that that guy’s sister?” He asked.




“Yeah, Bridgette, or Bridge as she actually likes to be called; she’s in my biology class and we ended up being lab partners.”


“Ended up or you made it happen?”  He grinned at me.


“I may have had something to do with it.” I admitted.




He laughed. “Leave it to you Carson. We better get going so we’re not late to the next class.”


The morning flew by and soon it was time for lunch. I was approaching my locker with Julia and Trent to get my lunch and I saw Charlie and Bridge standing at their lockers. I walked up behind them. “Mind if we join you for lunch?” I was taking a real chance here since I was about to expose to Charlie that I had used our acquaintance to be lab partners with Bridge.




“Sure, only if you introduce us to your friends though.” I began to introduce Julia and Trent and I occasionally peeked at Charlie to see if he was going to kill me.  “Aren’t you going to introduce them to Charlie?” She asked. 




Charlie commented before I could respond. “We’ve already met. What I want to know is how you and Carson know each other?”




“Oh, well I was sitting in biology this morning and he came over and told me he knew you and wanted to know if we could be lab partners. I figured since you knew him that he must not be too weird.” She looked over at me and smiled and I about fell on the floor from being knocked over from her smile. “I’m glad we are partners because that teacher is annoying and boring but Carson and I managed to laugh the whole time. Plus, he claims he’s good at science so maybe it will rub off on me.” 




“That better be all the rubbing that happens.” I heard Charlie mumble under his breath just loud enough for me to hear. I looked at him and he didn’t look very happy.




“Carson is really good at science. It’s one of the few things he’s good at.” Trent joked.


“Thanks dude.” I said sarcastically.


I saw Kate come over and we all started walking to the cafeteria. Charlie motioned for me to hang back. “Look, I don’t know what you’re deal is but Bridge doesn’t date. So if you have some illusion in your head that you’re going to pop into her life and she’s all of a sudden going to start dating you, you might as well get it out of your head.”




“Really dude, I walked into biology and she was sitting alone and since I had just met you and you seemed friendly I figured she must be somewhat friendly too. Plus, if you could have seen who was available for lab partners, you would have done the same thing too.” It was true. The other people had been interesting looking. “I didn’t tell her we were good friends; I told her I knew you and I left it completely up to her. If she had said no, I would have found a weird lab partner.”




He looked at me as we walked into the cafeteria. “So you’re not interested in dating her?”




I chuckled. “Look, I could stand here and lie to your face and say ‘No, I’m not at all interested in your sister.’; but that would be a flat out lie. I get it. You’re her brother, you look out for her and she doesn’t really date. It’s all good. We’re all new here and I’m much more interested in meeting new people and you all seem like a fun group.” He looked at me for a minute before responding.




“I like you Carson. Most guys would have tried to lie to me but I can tell you’re telling the truth.”


“So you’re not going to beat me to a pulp?” I joked.




“Nah, if you had been most guys I would have but like I said, I like you. Besides, you look pretty fit and it would be a close match. I’d win of course but I’d get messed up in the process and that’s just not something I’m interested in right now.” He kidded.




“Oh so you think that you could take me, huh?” I jokingly challenged back.


“Really, why do guys have to do this?” We heard Bridge say and we turned to look at her.




“It’s a guy thing. You know marking our territory, blah, blah, blah.” Charlie smiled at her.


“I don’t know Charlie, Carson told me he was a jock so you might want to back down a little.”


“A jock who’s good at science.” I reminded her.




“A jock, huh? You play football?” He asked.


“Yeah, I played all through middle school.” I admitted.


“You should try out for the team here. A couple other guys and I were planning on trying out, you could join us.” 


“Thanks! I might do that. You know, Trent plays football too.” We all walked to a table and continued to talk about football and about being at a new school.




The rest of the day flew by and soon I was home and Mom and Dad were grilling me.


“So, how was it?” Mom asked as I made my way into the kitchen.




“It was good! I met some new people and I actually had fun.” I admitted. Just then the door flew open and one of my older brothers, Brett came flying in. He was a senior and was just now getting home from school.




“So did Carson tell you about the beautiful girl he was talking to?” First thing out of his mouth; not ‘Hi’ or ‘Glad to be home.’ I glared at him before dad started asking questions.




“Pretty girl, huh?”


“No dad, beautiful.” Brett corrected him. “Not only that, it’s Bridgette Hobble. No guy gets within ten feet of her because of her brother but somehow Carson not only started talking with him but also Bridgette and now they’re all sitting together at lunch.”


“How do you know so much? You don’t even eat lunch at the same time that I do.” I wondered.


“Oh it’s all over the school. Guys all over are wondering how a guy finally got past the brother’s walls to get even a chance with Bridgette.”
 

“Bridge,” I corrected him. “She goes by Bridge; and I didn’t do anything deceitful, I just introduced myself to him and she ended up being in my biology class.”


“Whatever little bro; all I know is that it’s all over school and you’re like a legend already and it’s only your first day.”


“Hobble. . .There’s only one family named Hobble in this town and I don’t think I have to tell you who they are.” Dad commented. I hadn’t even thought about it but he was right, they must be children to Amanda and Chuck Hobble.




“Well, it sounds like you had an interesting day.” Mom joked. I listened to them give me more grief and then went to my room and started my homework. It stunk that I already had homework but I was thankful that  it wasn’t too much.


I pulled out my biology book and started reading the chapter that we had been assigned to read. I was about to start answering the questions at the end of the chapter when the home phone rang. I soon heard Brett running up the stairs and he flung my door open. 


“Geez dude; ever heard of knocking.” I complained.


“It’s Bridgette Hobble on the phone.” I jumped up and felt my heart skip a beat.


“Are you kidding, bro?” It would be just like Brett to pull a prank like this.




“No.” He really didn’t seem to be lying. He walked out and I picked up the phone and I heard Mom talking.


“Thanks, Mom; I got it.” I heard Mom say goodbye and she hung up the other line.


“Hello?” I tentatively asked.




“Hey Carson, it’s Bridge!” It sure did sound like her.




“Hey.” It was all I could think of to say.


“Have you started our biology homework? I was reading question one and I’m not sure how to answer it; might have something to do with the fact that we were too busy laughing during class.”




I chuckled. “Could be; I had just started looking at the questions. You want to go over them together?”




“That’d be great!” A half hour later I was making my way downstairs for dinner.


“So Bridgette Hobble called you. . .” Brett said with a smirk on his face.


“It was only to get help for biology; not a huge deal, bro.”


“Then why do you have a dreamy look on your face?” He teased. I threw a pillow at him he threw one back. Before long we were having a pillow fight in the middle of the family room.




“Carson! Brett! Enough! Can we please eat dinner?” Mom shouted at us.


“Sorry Mom.” We both apologized. We ate dinner and thankfully they didn’t give me too much more grief about Bridge calling me. The rest of the night continued on like most other nights. We hung out watching tv and I eventually finished the rest of my homework.

Once I finished my homework, I got ready to go to bed. As I walked out of the bathroom I ran into Brett.


“Night, stud.” He joked.


I shook my head and chuckled. “You just can’t let it go can you?”


“Oh come on, Carson! She’s one of the most beautiful girls in school and you’re going to tell me you haven’t noticed?”


“I didn’t say that.” I admitted.




“I thought so; see you tomorrow bro.”


“Night.” I said and walked to my room. I laid on my bed thinking about the day I had had and thought back to the feeling I had felt that morning that something great was going to happen. As I thought about seeing Bridgette Hobble walk into homeroom class and seeing her for the first time, I couldn’t help but think that perhaps that was the great thing I had felt was going to happen.  Perhaps there was more to this than a chance meeting in biology class. . .




Credits:
Poses:
Delight 33's - 12 Poses at a Table 


8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the views!!! Well deserved. I loved this blast from the past chapter. Was nice seeing them as teens again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! *starts blushing* Thank you so much Amandralynn and thank you for reading and commenting! I had so much fun doing this chapter and seeing them back in high school. It just seemed to me to be the perfect chapter to do before their wedding.

      Delete
  2. Oh this was so romantic in an adorable way! LOL. Congratulations on the views, I love when milestones happen! I forgot to say this earlier in another comment, but Carson's dad is hot. I can see where he gets his handsome-ness from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! I thought it would be nice to see where it all started and then, with the next chapter, them getting married.

      Thank you so much! I'm pretty sure about 50 of those are from before I knew to turn off the track my own page views. *blushes* Still I can't believe it's already here. Very humbling! I saw where Blink is already over 1,000 views!!! Wow! That's awesome!

      Okay, I was looking at Carson's dad yesterday as I was trying to get pictures for the wedding and I kept looking at him thinking he looked like someone. And then I realized who he reminded me of. Michael Bolton once he cut off his hair. I don't know, maybe I'm going crazy but I swear Carson's dad is Michael Bolton. . .LLOL!!!!

      Thanks for commenting and reading LateKnight (even at 2 am - which I saw you leave the comment but I was going to bed. Apparently we're both night owls).

      Delete
    2. LMAO, I scrolled up to look at Carson's dad again, and he kind of does look like Michael Bolton. LOL. Can he sing like Michael too? XD

      Aww haha, thank you for the compliments on Blink. LOL, yeah I've known how to turn off my own page views for a while, so the 1,000+ on Blink is all other people. o.O Thanks for reading it. :)

      Ahh no problem, I am totally a night owl heehee, you are so right. XD

      Delete
    3. For you LateKnight, I'll make him sing like Michael Bolton. =D

      You are more than welcome! It's an awesome story!

      Night owls unite! Hahaha!

      Delete
  3. So...Carson smiling is apparently dangerous. I literally stared for a full minute (which is actually a very long time)!

    This was so perfect!! It was Kismet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can't tell you how many times over the last however many months I have stared at Carson smiling. It is indeed dangerous and I don't know how Bridge was able to resist him for so long. . .

      Aww, thank you so much! This was one of my favorite chapters that I've done for either generation. Their meeting story has been floating around in my head and I thought this was the perfect time to tell it. =D

      Delete